The globe with cartouche reading "CARY'S NEW TERRESTRIAL GLOBE EXHIBITING The Tracks and Discoveries made by CAPTAIN COOK; Also those of CAPTAIN VANCOUVER on the NORTH WEST COAST OF AMERICA; and M. DE LAPEROUSE on the COAST of TARTARY, TOGETHER with every other improvement collected from Various Navigators to the present time. LONDON: Made & Sold by J & W Cary, Strand, March 1st 1806"
Comparative literature: E. Dekker and P. Van der Krogt, "Globes from the Western World", 1993, plates 33, 37 and 38.
The partnership between John Cary (c. 1754-1835), already a renowned dealer of maps, and his brother William (c. 1759-1825), manufacturer of nautical instruments, began at the end of the 18th century, with the first globes produced in January 1791. In a short time they became among the most esteemed and well-known craftsmen in the sector, specializing in terrestrial and celestial globes in four different diameter sizes: 3, 9, 12 and 21 inches. The firm was then carried on until the mid-19th century by John Cary's sons, John and George, and kept the name of the founder until 1890 (although it had already been formally taken over in 1851-52 by Henry Gould).
Measures: 120.00 x 75.00 x 75.00 cm
Starting price: € 3.500,00
Estimate: € 7.000,00 - 10.000,00
The department of ARTE ANTICA E DEL XIX SECOLO select works of art by the artist to be included in the next auction.
Our experts are always on hand to carry out free and confidential valuations.
Choose one of the following procedures: